How To Move Thunderbird Data to New Computer – Complete Guide
Do you want to move thunderbird profile data to a new computer? And searching for a perfect way to transfer all thunderbird emails to an external device.
Let’s analyze some users’ queries to know the exact scenario.
“I just bought a new Windows 10 PC and I want to transfer my Thunderbird email to my new computer and new user account. I’ve looked in Thunderbird’s ‘Tools’ menu for some sort of ‘Export’ feature – hoping to export your user data for re-import on the new machine – but, there doesn’t appear to be an option. Can you help?”
– Dennis, New Jersey
“One of my customers has a fresh Windows 7 install and was wondering if it is possible to somehow move/copy account settings on Mozilla Thunderbird so he doesn’t want to reinstall it. He was looking for a way to move all over a fresh install of the Mozilla email client (Thunderbird) to the new Windows 7 install. This will save a lot of time and work. How do we transfer Thunderbird profiles to a new computer?”
– Susanne, California
Default Storage Location
Windows OS – C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles
Mac OSX – Users/UserName/Library/Application Support/
But if you have not found the thunderbird data in this default location. Don’t be panic, I will guide you where and how to see your Thunderbird data location. Follow these steps:
- Firstly, open the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.
- Click on the three vertical lines >> Help.
- Select more Troubleshooting Information option.
- After that, you can see the complete Thunderbird Management Information, click the Profile option.
- Lastly, users can easily check the Thunderbird default location (Root Directory), click the Open Folder option.
How to Transfer Thunderbird Data to a new computer – Trustworthy Solution
Many tools are available in the market, but RecoveryTools Thunderbird Migrator software is an all-in-one software that directly imports Thunderbird profile data to Thunderbird Mail Client. This software is designed in such a way, users only need to choose the source Thunderbird profile Repository then the software will instantly import these items into the Thunderbird program on a new PC.
Let’s look at the features of the tool how they help to copy your Thunderbird data to a new computer.
Entices features of the tool
- Convert Thunderbird contacts – this software is capable to migrate contacts and other items without any problem. It is a standalone application to extract Address book data into CSV & vCard file format including all the information such as First name, last name, middle name, company, job title and etc.
- Fast Process – Thunderbird profile converter allows moving to batch multiple thunderbird profiles into a new computer. In this process, the software takes only a few minutes to import your data.
- Users can transfer Thunderbird emails with all attachments. They support all attachments during the exporting process.
- Preserve folder hierarchy – During the conversion of emails, all details and related information of the Thunderbird mailbox are saved in the original form.
- No Thunderbird installation required – With this tool, users no need to install Thunderbird or any third-party plug-in or application. Users can move Thunderbird data in any new Thunderbird email client.
Steps how to Copy Thunderbird emails to a new computer?
Non-technical users can easily run the software. All the working process is very simple and adequate for the users. Follow these steps:
- Firstly, Download and run the software on your PC.
- Secondly, dual options to load Thunderbird data, the first one is manually and automatically.
- Dual ways to load either the whole Thunderbird Profile Directory or selectively choose Mailbox files.
- Now, select the Thunderbird option from the list of saving options. It will automatically save the mailbox items at the default Thunderbird profile location.
- Next, click on the Convert button, and all the mailbox items are saved at the Thunderbird Profile location.
As we can see that this method instantly helps the users to transfer Thunderbird emails to a new Computer. If you face any trouble during the process you can read our Thunderbird migrator guide page.
Manual Way to Move Thunderbird to New Computer Windows 10
There is no doubt that if a user wants to transfer Thunderbird emails to the new computer then the primary choice is always to do it free of cost. It supports various email protocols like POP3, IMAP, SMTP, etc. Thunderbird stores all important data like emails, contacts, calendars, address books, settings, saved passwords, add-on data, etc. in a profile directory.
Unfortunately, there is no option in Thunderbird settings to export your data and settings to another Thunderbird supported file. The only possible way is manually copying the profile folder to the new PC and allowing Thunderbird to access the profile folder.
Limitations and Drawbacks of Using Free Way
- With the manual method you cannot save folder hierarchy, email properties, directory analysis, and email integrity, and also it is not a secure method.
- There are always chances to lose data and its formatting.
In this article, we discussed how to transfer Thunderbird email to a new computer. Furthermore, we discussed the two methods in the above section. But there are some drawbacks with the manual method as well. Hence, there is a need for some professional Thunderbird backup software that proves to be very powerful. And we recommend you the best tools that backup Thunderbird data to a new computer with ease.