Free Ways to Convert NSF Files to PST
Table of Index for NSF to PST Conversion Process:
Understand the need to convert NSF files and folders to PST
Plan how to do it using freeware or professional tools
Follow the detailed steps to migrate your data
I used the IBM Notes, e-mail client, to manage my e-mail, contacts, and calendars. Unfortunately, this year we received a notification from IBM that it will no longer support the Notes client and Domino server. The Notes e-mail client will be operated by HCL Corporation.
The real problem begins at this point. I haven’t received updates since their end. Although I was looking for HCL Notes test settings, I didn’t get it. Right now, I have decided to switch from Lotus Notes to the Outlook email client.
When I checked the source data format for the Lotus Notes client, it was saved in the * .nsf file format. But I can only import PST files into Outlook. So, I started converting NSF files to PST format. There are two ways to convert NSF documents to PST documents.
- Manual way to convert NSF to PST for free
- Professional tool for exporting NSF files to PST
The big question is, which solution should I prefer?
You will encounter a problem during the recovery process. The cPanel e-mail backup file is encoded into a single file. This means that if you try to manually restore cPanel backup emails, you may not receive exactly the same information.
Manual Way to Free Convert NSF File to PST:
A user can free convert NSF Files to PST file format without changing any original information of IBM Notes mailboxes. He can do it just by following the given steps:
- In Lotus Notes Mail Client, click on the File menu & choose the Export option.
- Give a name to save the file & select the CSV option from the saving format list.
- Setup all the options according to your needs in the CSV Export window.
- You will get CSV files at your desired output file saving location.
- From the File menu of Outlook, choose the Open & Export option.
- Select the Import/Export option.
- Choose Import from another program or file option.
- Select the Comma Separated Values option & click on the Next button.
- Select the CSV file you obtained from the Lotus Notes mail client.
- Your CSV mailbox items will get imported into the Outlook mail client.
Why Converting NSF to PST Manually for free is a Bad Idea?
The biggest problem with manually exporting NSF files to PST is that all your data may not be converted correctly. It is a very difficult task, so non-technology boys are advised to do so at their own risk.
During the manual process, the user will only migrate NSF emails and contact entries to the PST. No CALENDAR items will be migrated to the Outlook mail client.
The whole process is very tedious, boring, and time-consuming. Outlook cannot be used during the entire import process. The user must have both the IBM Notes e-mail client and Outlook installed on their computer.
Best Tool to Export NSF Mailboxes to PST file:
I search various forums and platforms to get the perfect solution for exporting my Notes NSF mailboxes to a .pst file. So, one of my colleagues recommended that I use nMigrator software, a premium application designed exclusively to solve the problem of migrating NSF files. Free Download the trial edition of this software from below:
The application performs the whole process of converting NSF to PST in a very simplified way. A wizard-like task layout allows users to export data step by step. Follow these steps to learn how to export an NSF file to a .pst without a Lotus Notes mail client.
Step-by-step Solution to Convert NSF to PST:
- Install & Run NSF File to PST Converter tool & load NSF files in it.
- Users can preview all the NSF emails in the software panel with attachments.
- Click the Convert button to proceed to the conversion window. Choose the PST option from the saving options list.
- Users can export only specific Lotus Notes emails to PST files by applying filter settings. Enable checkbox for Use Advanced Settings for Filter Saving. The filter settings that can be applied are Date range, From, To, Subject, Exclude Folders, Organizer, Root Folder, Text Formatting, Mails, Calendars, Contacts, etc.
- The tool offers various advanced settings like translate mailbox folders name to the selected language folder names. For every NSF file, the tool supports to create a separate PST file.
- By default, the software will save the resultant mailbox items at Desktop named with date+time_nsffilename.pst. If you want to change the destination location, click on the Folder icon. Select the folder where to save resultant PST files.
- Click on the Next button to start NSF to PST migration process. Preview the live conversion process directly in the application panel.
- In the end, the application will generate a SavingLog report that will include all the information regarding the NSF file to PST conversion process.
Benefits of Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST Converter Software:
With this software, you can easily export NSF files to PST. It also supports batch conversion of multiple NSF files without any hassle. The user can also export specific NSF emails to PST only using filters. Some of the main features of the application are listed below:
- The tool supports batch convert multiple Lotus Notes mailbox items to the Outlook email clients.
- Transfer all items from Notes NSF file like emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, journals, to-do items to PST file.
- Export only specific NSF mailbox emails to PST file on the basis of Date range, To, From, Subject, Root Folder, etc.
- The software will maintain the original metadata & properties of emails during NSF to PST file conversion.
- Export NSF files obtained from all versions & editions to PST file including IBM Notes 10.0.1, 9.0.1, Lotus Notes 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5, & 6.0 etc.
- The application supports the users to preview NSF emails directly in the application window with all inserted attachment files.
- The robust interface & interactive GUI of the application is very helpful for the non-techie guys.
- Supports to convert IBM Notes Names.nsf files to PST file to migrate Address Book & Contacts details.
In the above article, I had explained the simplest way to transfer data from the Notes NSF file to PST. I used RecoveryTools nMigrator software which provides a direct way to import / export NSF data. Amazing solution for all non-techie users like me.