Free Ways to Convert NSF to PST Files Manually
Table of Index for NSF to PST Conversion Process:
Understand the need to convert NSF files and folders to PST
Plan how to do it using freeware or professional tools
Follow the detailed steps to migrate your data
Let us take a scenario into consideration when Lotus Notes switched hands from IBM to HCL:
“I used the IBM Notes, e-mail client, to manage my e-mail, contacts, and calendars. Unfortunately, this year we received a notification from IBM that it will no longer support the Notes client and Domino server. The Notes e-mail client will be operated by HCL Corporation.
The real problem begins at this point. I haven’t received updates since their end. Although I was looking for HCL Notes test settings, I didn’t get it. Right now, I have decided to switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook email client.
When I checked the source data format for the Lotus Notes client, it was saved in the * .nsf file format. But I can only import PST files into Outlook. So, I am now looking for a way to convert NSF files to PST. Can somebody recommend a feasible solution?”
In his article, we will be providing two ways to convert NSF to PST format:
- Manual way to convert NSF files to PST for free
- Professional NSF to PST Converter tool
The big question is, which solution should one prefer?
Go through both solutions to understand their working, pros, and cons. Only then will you be able to understand which method suits your requirements.
Manually Convert NSF to PST Free:
A user can export Notes NSF to PST format with the built-in capabilities of Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook. Just follow the below-given steps:
- In Lotus Notes Mail Client, click on the File menu & choose the Export option.
- Give a name to save the file & select the Comma Separated Value option from the saving format list.
- Set up all the options according to your needs in the CSV Export window.
- You will get CSV files at your desired output file-saving location.
- From the File menu of Outlook, choose the Open & Export option.
- Select the Import/Export option.
- Choose Import from another program or file option.
- Select the Comma Separated Values option & click on the Next button.
- Select the CSV file you obtained from the Lotus Notes mail client.
- Your CSV mailbox items will get imported into the Outlook mail client.
Why Manual Conversion for Free is A Bad Idea?
The biggest problem with converting NSF files to PST manually is that all your data may not be converted correctly. It is a very difficult task, so non-technical boys are advised to do so at their own risk.
During the free manual process, the user will only migrate NSF emails and contact entries to the PST. No CALENDAR items will be migrated to the Outlook mail client.
The whole process is very tedious, boring, and time-consuming. Only Notes view data is exported. The user must have both the IBM Notes e-mail client and Outlook installed on their computer.
We recommend executing the manual method on a small database to understand its limitation. If it’s working for you then you can apply it to your entire NSF database. If it’s not, then opt for the professional NSF to PST converter software.
Professional NSF to PST Converter Tool for Windows OS
There are a plethora of conversion tools available if you search. However, finding that one solution perfect for converting NSF to PST is not that easy. Well, here is one of the highly recommended Lotus Notes Migrator software, a premium application designed exclusively to solve the problem of converting NSF to PST format. Also, it has the ability to convert emails into Exchange and other saving formats. Free Download NSF to PST converter the trial edition of this software from below:
The application performs the whole process of converting NSF to PST in a very simplified way. A wizard-like task layout allows users to export data step by step. Follow these steps to learn how to export an NSF file to a .pst without a Lotus Notes mail client.
Step-by-Step Guide to Convert NSF to PST Format
- Install & Run the NSF Converter tool & load NSF files in it.
- Users can preview all the NSF emails in the software panel with attachments.
- Click the Convert button to proceed to the conversion window. Choose the PST option from the saving options list.
- Users can export only specific Lotus Notes NSF to PST files by applying filter settings. Enable the checkbox for Use Advanced Settings for Filter Saving. The filter settings that can be applied are Date range, From, To, Subject, Exclude Folders, Organizer, Root Folder, Text Formatting, Mails, Calendars, Contacts, etc.
- The tool offers various advanced settings like translating mailbox folders’ names to the selected language folder names. For every NSF file, the tool supports creating a separate PST file.
- By default, the software will save the resultant mailbox items at Desktop named with date+time_nsffilename.pst. If you want to change the destination location, click on the Folder icon. Select the folder where to save the resultant PST files.
- Click on the Next button to start NSF to PST conversion process. Preview the live conversion process directly in the application panel.
- In the end, the application will generate a SavingLog report that will include all the information regarding the conversion process.
Benefits of Using this Professional Software:
With this software, you can easily export NSF files to PST. It also supports batch conversion of multiple NSF files without any hassle. The user can also export specific NSF emails to PST only using filters. Some of the main features of the application are listed below:
- The tool supports batch converting NSF to PST format
- Convert emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, and journals from NSF to PST
- Export only specific emails from NSF to PST file on the basis of Date range, To, From, Subject, Root Folder, etc.
- NSF to PST converter software will maintain the original metadata & properties
- Convert IBM Notes 10.0.1, 9.0.1, Lotus Notes 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5, & 6.0, NSF to PST format.
- The application supports the users to preview NSF emails directly in the application window with all inserted attachment files.
- The robust interface & interactive GUI of the application is very helpful for the non-techie guys.
- Supports converting IBM Notes Names.nsf files to PST files to migrate Address Book & Contacts details.
This article explains the simplest way to convert emails, contacts, and calendars from NSF to PST file format. It has both the free method as well as professional NSF to PST Converter to carry out the conversion process. So, if the manual method proves good for you, then carry on with it.
However, if it fails to deliver results, opt for the NSF to PST converter software for easy and safe file conversion.