Top 2 Methods to Convert MBOX to EML
MBOX to EML conversion is involved, it is necessary to find an application that supports both these file formats. Whether it’s a free email client like Mozilla Thunderbird or a professional solution that specializes in email conversion, one must be present. Because it makes the task a lot easier.
Here, in this DIY guide, we are going to introduce to you the most successful methods i.e. using Thunderbird and RecoveryTools converter.
Table of Contents:
MBOX VS EML – A Brief Idea
MBOX & EML formats vary a lot. On one hand, the MBOX format stores all the emails from a mailbox folder. On the other hand, the EML format stores a single message. The other differences are as follows:
- Many email applications support MBOX files to save and migrate data. While EML is supported by almost all email applications making it more versatile.
- Both formats are cross-platform file formats that can be moved and opened in different operating systems.
- When compared to other individual message storage formats, EML is quite bulky. MBOX size depends on the size of the mailbox folder.
Two Methods to Convert MBOX to EML
Starting below, we have two different methods to export MBOX file to EML files. First is a DIY method. While the second method represents the tried and tested approach to getting the job done in an accurate manner.
Manual & Free MBOX to EML Conversion
This method requires an application that supports both formats. Mozilla Thunderbird is the perfect choice as it is available for free and supports both file formats.
As for the instructions, they are as follows:
- Install and run Mozilla Thunderbird on your system.
- Configure an account, if it’s necessary to work with Thunderbird.
- Once it’s open, go to Tools >> Add-ons & Themes.
- Type importexport in the search bar and hit the Enter
- Click the Add button in the pop-up menu.
- Once done, restart Thunderbird.
- Now, right-click on the Local Folders mailbox and select the add-on (Importexporttools NG).
- Then, choose import mbox file >> import directly one or more mbox file.
- After that, proceed to select and import MBOX file into Thunderbird.
- Once the files are in Thunderbird, it is time to save their email messages into EML files.
- Right-click on the imported mailbox folder, and choose the add-on (Importexporttools NG).
- After that, select Export all messages in folder >> EML format.
- Select the destination location and click Select Folder to save the emails.
- That’s it! The emails are successfully changed from MBOX to EML format.
- You can open the destination location to view all the EML files.
Accurate & Automated Solution to Export MBOX to EML
For those who want to keep things simple and avoid the hassle that comes with an external email application, use RecoveryTools MBOX Migrator. It is an all-in-one application that deals with all the major conversion scenarios of MBOX file format. At the same time, this is a tried and tested approach trusted by professionals across the globe.
This MBOX to EML Converter supports mailbox file of all origins and types. You can expect to keep the properties and metadata intact. In fact, you can also download the free demo version of the software and see for yourself how the tool operates.
Convert MBOX File to EML Step-by-Step:
Step 1: Run MBOX to EML Converter. Run the recommended tool and click the “Next” button.
Step 2: Browse MBOX files. Hit the “Select Files…” button to browse the MBOX file from the system.
Step 3: View the selected file. After the software will display the selected file, click “Next”.
Step 4: Select EML for conversion. Set “EML” as the saving option and apply other settings as per requirement.
Step 5: Apply email filters. Apply advanced filters with the “Filter Options” tab.
Step 6: Export MBOX to EML successfully. Finally, click the “Convert” button to start exporting MBOX emails to EML files.
That’s it! The process is complete.
The following video shows the complete working process of the professional method.
The process to convert MBOX to EML files is quite easy. This blog covers both free and professional software to get the job done. For speed and accuracy, using automated software is recommended. It ensures that there are no changes in the properties and metadata of the email messages. And at the same time, you can avoid all the hassle of the manual approach while saving your time and effort.