An Ideal Cloud Backup Solution with Security Issues Resolved
This article will explain the need for Cloud Backup & its relevant issues like why user need to Backup data from the cloud and how to do that? The article will also list the concerns about security and privacy for the data stored in the cloud. In case if you are looking for the an Ideal Cloud Backup Solutions then you are at the right platform as It proves to be the Best Cloud Email Backup Tool for you.
Creating the backup of our data is an important technique to keep our data safe from any type of disaster. Backup is done to protect data by creating a copy of our files to a second medium other than the original storage. Backup is considered a routine part of all the organizations. With increasing popularity of Cloud Computing concept, the traditional backup solution seems to be being replaced by Backup offered by Cloud.
Cloud Backup is done by backing up the data to a remote server and files are stored on the internet using storage service provider. Our data is stored away from home and office that means it is free from any type of local disasters like floods, fires, which could have hampered our data if it is stored locally in a Hard Drives, Optical discs.
Almost everyone is aware of the benefits of using the cloud computing services, but the main concern of the users is the security of their data. How safe is their data in the cloud premises? The page will be discussing the features that an ideal backup solution of Cloud should have, which will not only provide a way for backup but also provides security for them.
How is Cloud Computing Backup Different from Others?
The backup provided by the Cloud has some plus points over backing it up locally. It provides some features like:
- Offsite Protection can be used to protect our data from local threats like Virus Attacks, Hard Drive Failure, natural disasters.
- Accessibility is the best part of Cloud Services. Anyone can access his or her backup files from any internet-connected computer from anywhere.
- Sharing is very easy as the Users can store their data in Cloud and send a link to download the files thereby reducing congestion in our account’s inbox.
- Real-Time Collaboration feature of cloud Computing allows people from different locations to work together on a common project.
- Cost-effectiveness that means the cloud users do not need to maintain any of the hardware or software associated with backup storage and they just need to pay as per their usage.
- Flexibility to choose how much storage is needed as per requirements allowing users to increase or decrease whenever they want.
How Should an Ideal Cloud Backup Solution Be?
The task of the Backup solution provided by the Cloud Computing environment is not to perform the backup only but also it must ensure that the data stored in the cloud is secured. Therefore, the ideal solution should be prioritized in two parts that are Backup and Security.
The online Cloud Storage service should fulfill all the characteristics discussed below:
- The backup plan should have various options for taking backup allowing users to select entire file system from the system or to select any specific folder for data backup.
- The backup solution should provide management console for the administrators to monitor and manage the entire user’s backup process through the dashboard.
- It should be able to perform a backup of bulk data present in all Windows and Mac endpoints (Laptops or Desktops) data directly to Cloud.
- It should support backup of multiple versions of files on the cloud and it should be able to retrieve or share with other people.
- Backup Process uses internet for uploading data in the backup process. The backup plan should allow users to decide the bandwidth of the internet usage so that no other activities involving internet should suffer due to internet users on backup.
- The backup plan also needs to ensure that there is no duplication of data in the content.
- Also, the backup solution should have a backup schedule by allotting time of the day when the backup needs to be performed or backup frequency like every 2 hr, 5 hr etc.
- If there is any interruption during the backup process, the backup plan should be able to send email alerts to the user notifying about the reason of interruption.
- The backup should support all types of file formats while performing a backup of data to the cloud.
The cloud service provider should ensure that the cloud applications are protected from unauthorized access. It can be done by defining multiple policies concerning the access is given to users based on restrictions like IP, time, Geo Location etc. Some of the features are as follows:
- The IT team of Cloud service provider can enforce strong password policy for all users to avoid unauthorized access by hackers.
- The Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) can be enforced on selected or group of users. The Out of box SMS integration can be provided which sends One Time Password (OTP) code to the user at the time of login in addition to the login password.
- The IT Team can apply IP restriction on accessing the application by the users. The range can be provided by an administrator to ensure end users can only use the application for a particular IP’s.
- Geo Location Restriction can also be employed so that users can access on some particular locations defined only based on Latitude-Longitude coordinates on map, countries, cities etc.
- Likewise, Time Restriction can be applied by defining the session time for accessing the application. The users accessing at odd times will be forcefully logged out.
The Cloud Backup solution can be stated as an ideal solution if it can provide both the backup and the security of the data stored in Cloud. There is a third party solution for cloud-backup i.e. Email Backup Wizard that satisfies the above-stated features and provides a Single Sign-On option. The Single Sign-On option gives simplified access to applications by users and ensures the user’s across application comply with security policy. It also removes complex tasks associated with an administrator and overall management.